What do I love about journal writing? Everything! I love to write, I like the tactile experience of touching pen to paper, I like having a place to noodle my creative ideas, record my personal journey and check in with my inner self. Christina Baldwin, author of “One to One, Self Understanding through Journal Writing,” defines a journal as “a book of dated entries.” She also states, “The journal is a tool for recording the process of our lives.” For me, journaling is a means of connecting with myself, my inner wisdom, my dreams, my visions. Writing in my journal gives me a space, a place to record where I’ve been, where I am and where I want to go. The journal is a tool for observing how I’ve grown and where I want to stretch myself. Baldwin has this to say about the writing process, “There is something about writing it down that is different from talking it out, and it’s not just that writing leaves a residue of little black lines on paper. We write things down for safekeeping, to remember them, to honor them. It’s a way we take care of our thoughts.”
When I think about what excites me about writing, here’s what I came up with.
- It’s relaxing. It’s a great way to relieve stress and tension.
- It’s cathartic and healing. When I write my thoughts down, they no longer have power over me and they’re not racing around in my head anymore.
- It’s creative. Writing can be a creative outlet for me. It’s a tool for creating content for my retreats and classes, writing poetry, blog posts and so much more.
- It’s a way for me to connect with my love of words and language.
- It’s restorative. It’s an activity I do by myself in my favorite cozy, comfortable places. I look busy and people don’t interrupt me when I’m writing at a coffee shop or the library.
What about you? Are you a journal writer? If yes, how long has it been since you’ve written in your journal? If no, is journal writing something you might want to explore? What are the benefits of journal writing? How can journal writing help you to stretch yourself? Please share your thoughts about journal writing with me. You know I love to hear from you:)